You must be thinking of how to start a blog? I was also having the same question – how am I going to get my own blog and do affiliate marketing or sell my own products/services?
You must be wondering where to start? And how to get success in blogging.
I will be sharing all my success tips and techniques that will help you in becoming a successful blogger in a quick 4 steps.
One most important thing, “It’s not a get rich quick scheme” and “is not a multilevel marketing opportunity”. You need to put an effort to become successful in blogging.
If you are really serious about blogging, then you should be thinking of taking initiative. Your own blog will become your identity and a sign of your success in the future.
You know how many people who use to live their life simple, but now, they are a popular blogger. This is because of taking the initiative.
I struggled a lot in creating a perfect blog before. I did not know how to do it as I was newly entered in the blogging world.
I will get you through all the steps that will help you to start your own blog today, how to monetize a blog for earning and many more. Do not skip any steps as I did research to make it super easy for you.
Steps to Start a blog
(You can jump directly to the blog step-by-step setup process from links below)
- Step 1: Choose a Domain Name(Blog Name)
- Step 2: Choose Web Hosting
- Step 3: WordPress Installation
- Step 4: Get Started
- Monetize A Blog for Earning
What Is Blogging? Is Blogging A Right Choice?
Let me get straight to the point.
Basically, a blogger shares its ideas, views, informational content, strategies and many more. Being a blogger, you can write on a particular topic and share ideas or information for the readers.
Your blog is a real platform where people will going to explore the content that they are looking for.
Many bloggers do blogging for earning and I respect that. If you are doing something that provides value and in return, you get paid, then I believe it’s the right choice.
Even I do blogging and earn money on a daily basis from different sources. I will share the ideas when you complete the blog setup process.
How Much I Can Make From My Own Blog?
You can actually make your blog – a money generating asset. Yes, a blog is an asset. Every content in the blog and whatever ideas you implement is an asset.
Income from the blog depends upon the effort you put in and how much you know about blogging. There are bloggers who make money blogging through generating leads.
This post will get you through the road to success. Yes, you need to put effort to become a successful blogger.
Creating a blog is easy but you need to know what should be done when your blog gets live on the internet. I will explain to you everything. Keep reading!
Cost Of Blogging
If you want to grow in blogging, then you need to buy a paid service which costs you around $5.30/month. it’s like a cost of coffee.
Is Blog For Free Worth?
I was also wondering why should I pay to start a blog when I can actually do it for free.
I starting doing research on Free blogging vs Paid blogging.
I found free blogging has many limitations in terms of your earnings, blog design, customer support and many more.
Paid blogging looks professional and opens multiple options for earning. There are many free themes and plugins available if you go for paid blogging.
If you use a free blogging platform and in case you want to shift to paid blogging due to dissatisfaction, you may find challenges in shifting to paid blogging.
Free Blogging Platforms are Blogger, Tumblr, etc.
Anyways, I don’t want to go much deeper into this. I would say, you should go for self-hosting which means paid blogging and show yourself a professional blogger on the internet. I am using a paid blogging platform and it’s super worth for me.
Blog Niche Ideas
Before creating a blog, you should know what’s your blog topic/Niche going to be?
See the below list of topics that are trending and also have a scope for the future.
Health and fitness, Lifestyle, News, Gaming, Home Decor, Fashion, Travel, Inspiration, Home, Beauty and Fashion, Technology, Food, Parenting, Newborn baby, Finance.
Start working on the niche that you are really interested in. Gain the knowledge and do research before you post the content.
Your interest in the topic will make you publish awesome content that will actually bring the WOW moment for your audiences.
You can share your ideas, knowledge, opinion and many more through your blog. People will take your opinion seriously and follow your advice.
Your interest and quality of work will get you towards success and help you to achieve a financial goal.
Remember, your blog should belong to one niche. If you work on multiple niches in a single blog, then your audience will get confused. This may also hurt your Google ranking and user traffic. So, select only one niche and start working on it.
Which Blogging Platform Should I Choose?
As per my research, I have seen the majority of bloggers use WordPress Platform for their blog.
WordPress is actually a software that is free when you go for a self web hosting with SiteGround. WordPress has many features that will make your task super easy.
They provide many free plugins that are really helpful to achieve success in blogging.
This blog is currently running on WordPress software. You don’t need to know coding, it’s completely automated like how you use your phone.
WordPress provides high-level security, Free mobile-friendly themes, Free SEO Plugins, Free site backup plugins and many more.
It will also make your blog run faster on the internet which is actually a plus point.
This is what requires to run a successful blog. You don’t need to put extra time into managing your blog. WordPress will do it for you without any charges. You just need to buy hosting and domain name. That’s it.
I would recommend you to buy hosting from Siteground. It’s fast, Secured, userfriendly, provides awesome customer service and free WordPress Software. I am personally using it.
I have made the Blog Setup process simple, if in case you need any support during the blog setup process, you can contact me anytime.
Disclosure: In this guide, I have used affiliate links on some of the products, which means if you purchase from my affiliate link, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you (no extra charge to you). This helps my blog up and running and also motivates me to keep publishing free guides. Thank you for your love and support!
Let Start Our Blog Setup Process:
I have designed this process simple to make you understand each and everything like how to do Domain name(Blog name) setup, Hosting setup, WordPress installation, Theme installation, how to post your first article on the internet and free plugins setup.
Go step-by-step, follow the process and get your blog ready in 15 minutes.
The domain name is your blog name(URL) and will become a brand name in the future. Give the name to your blog that you like to see on the internet.
It can be your name, your business name, topic-related name. It’s up to you. My advice for you is, keep the domain name related to your Niche. This will help you to get organic traffic and easier to understand about your content from your domain name itself.
Your domain name should have dotcom(.com) in the end. Dotcom is highly preferred if you want to expand globally.
If your blog is a specific country, then you can go for .us for United states, .uk for United Kingdom, .in for India and so on.
I use .com as I want people to read my blog from all over the world. Let’s see how to get a domain name online.
First, go to SiteGround and choose start-up plan. (you will find the option to get a domain name later).
Select Startup plan. If you are a beginner, then you should go for this plan. GrowBig plan will help you in the future, when you started getting 1000+ visitors on a daily basis.
Once you click on GET PLAN, you will now see a screen to get a new domain name.
Type a domain name(try different names if it has already taken by other users). And then click on Proceed.
Now, you will see a Congratulation page.
Next, fill in the details and make payment.
Note: Make payment for domain & hosting service only. They provide 30 days money-back guarantee for hosting service.
You can un-check the additional service that you don’t want to use.
You just need to buy Hosting and domain name. Exclude the additional service if you don’t want it.
The total amount is a yearly payment.
Congrats! Now, you are the owner of the blog name. You are getting closer to make your blog go live on the internet.
Login to your SiteGround hosting account.
Click on My Accounts -> Go To cPanel
Under cPanel, you will find WordPress -> Click on WordPress (The new page will open).
In the – Choose installation URL option, select your domain name in the drop-down option. Also, select https:
Set your Admin Username and Password. (This login and password will be used for login into WordPress account)
Now, click on Install
Note: Once it’s done, you will only need login in to your wordpress account to access your blog Dashboard.
You will now have access to reach inside to your blog (dashboard).
In this section, I will explain to you how to work on WordPress and manage your blog easily.
Simply type your domain name including forward-slash (/) and type admin and hit enter. Like in my case, I will type https://startblogonline/admin.
Your First Task After Login WordPress Dashboard:
Select Theme For Your Blog. (This is mandatory)
WordPress theme gives actual design to the blog. You have to find the right theme for your blog that suit your Niche.
I have seen many bloggers use a wonderful theme. Just search for a good theme, install it and see how it looks like. If you don’t like it, then try a different one.
You will find thousands of free themes on WordPress.
You can go for a GeneratePress theme (loved by Bloggers) if you want to do things professionally.
At an initial stage, I would recommend you to go for a free theme like what I did.
Now, I use paid theme, because I am making money from this blog. I want to use an additional feature to display my blog more professional.
Go to your Blog dashboard -> click on Appearance -> Click on Theme.
Type blog in the search box -> select the theme you like and click on activate to install. Done.
How To Install Plugins
You will need plugins to make your work simpler. It’s like an app on your phone. There are plugins that are used to make your blog run smooth, for better SEO, for backup your site, for extra features and many more.
Make sure to limit the number of plugins otherwise, it will affect your blog speed.
There are paid plugins available, but you may not require it because the free version is itself does the work that we needed.
I will let you know the plugin name that should be enough for you to start your blog. You don’t need to buy a premium version.
First, I will get you through how to install plugins and then provide you the list of plugins that are super useful and freely available.
To Install Plugin -> Go to WordPress Dashboard -> Click on Plugins -> Add New.
Type plugin name in the search box (no need to hit enter). Plugin will automatically appear on the page.
Then Click on Install Now and Activate.
To see the number of plugins you have installed, Click on Plugins -> Installed Plugins.
You will also get the notification to update the plugins. Make sure you update the plugins whenever you see the notification.
Note: Do not update the plugin more that one at the same, otherwise your blog site may get crashed.
The right way is, update plugins one by one.
Also, see the number of installation and the ratings given to the plugins that you are planning to use.
Don’t use plugins that have bad reviews and ratings majorly.
List of freemium plugins:
- Autoptimize: To make your blog load faster.
- Contact Form 7: This is for your readers who want to contact you.
- Sassy Social Share: To show social shares live on your blog. For example: if anyone shared your blog post, then these plugins will show the number of shares.
- Smush: This plugin compresses the image size and makes your blog open faster.
- Table of Contents Plus: if you want to show the headlines and subheadings on the starting stage of the post, then this plugin will surely help you. This also helps in SEO.
- TinyMCE Advanced: This plugin will help you to add more features while editing your blog post.
- UpdraftPlus: You must have a backup of your blog. What if incase your blog site crashed and you lost all the data? In this case, UpdraftPlus will be a saver for you. Don’t worry it’s free. They do provide premium service but their free service is more than enough. Even I use their free service.
- Wordfence Security: Protects your blog from virus, Hackers, Firewall, Malware and more.
- Yoast SEO: You must have this plugin as it helps blog/articles to increase its ranking on the search engines.
- MonsterInsights: With the help of MonsterInsights you can see how many visitors visit your blog. Then after, you need to have a google analytics account. Connect Google Analytics with MonsterInsights and start seeing your visitor live.
- Insert Header and Footer: This plugin will help you especially in giving verification of your blog. For example if you signup with Google analytics, they will ask you to add code on your blog header section to verify your ownership. In this case, you just need to click on this plugin and paste the code and save it. That’s it.
If you stuck somewhere or need suggestions on any plugins or you finding challenges in searching a good plugin, you can contact me. Just go to the contact section of my blog and write a message.
How to Post Article On My Blog?
You need to have an article ready to publish. Make sure that you create a well researched and quality content so that people would appreciate.
So, to publish your first article, you need to go to the WordPress dashboard -> click on Posts -> Add New – > paste your article, do some editing part and Publish.
How Should Be My Post Structure That People Love it?
- Nowadays, people may not read your entire post if they don’t find it useful or what they are looking for. This is because Google has started showing quality articles on the top of its ranking. Whoever searches for things on Google, if they didn’t find useful they will straightaway shift to other blogs and search for the information. So, from this, you must have got an idea that you need to do well research and publish a detailed article.
- The topic of your blog post should give a message related to the post. Don’t go off the topic, this may bore the reader.
- Do well research and also read top articles related to your topic. Just to get an idea of how they reach to the top.
- Make your post better than them, provide the information that they failed to.
- Always provide step by step information to make your audience easy to understand.
- Use table of contents if your blog post is lengthy.
- Your one sentence should not go more than three lines. Big sentences may bore or make your audience difficult to read the entire content. Writing short sentence articles is highly advisable.
- Use images to grab the attention of your readers. This will make your readers spend more time on your blog.
- You can also post your own video between the article. If you do not have you own video, then you can post others video from Youtube. Just copy the link and paste it in between of your post. WordPress will automatically show the video on your post.
- Never ever confuse your audience. First, check your article whether it’s in the proper sequence or not. If it is easily understandable, then publish it.
How To Create A Menu
The menu section helps the reader to explore a blog.
First, you must create a category like Home, blog, contact etc.before creating a Menu header. I will show you how to do that.
How To Create Categories
Go to WordPress Dashboard -> Click on Post -> Categories
Name the Category and click on add new category.
You can create as much as you want.
Now, Go to Appearance and click on Menu. You will see the category option. Click on view all to see the categories that you have created.
Right tick on the category that you want to display on the Menu Section. Click on Add to Menu.
Give Menu Name a – Primary Header
In the menu settings options, Right tick the Header Menu -> then click on Save.
Mandatory Blog Settings:
General Settings: Mention your Site Title, write something on the Tagline, and add the email address.
Permalinks Settings: Go to WordPress Dashboard -> Click on Settings -> Permalinks -> and Select Post name -> click on Save Changes.
Rest, keep everything as it is by default.
This is good for SEO.
To Create a page, Click on Pages and then click on the Add New
GDPR Cookie Consent
You need to show the notification to your audience and have a Cookie Consent. This is really very important as per EU GDPR/Cookie Law Regulations.
To show GDPR notification, go to Plugins -> Click on Add New and type cookie in the search box.
Install & Activate the one which has a good number of downloads and ratings.
How To Submit Setup Sitemap For Blogger
Sitemap is used to enable Google to crawl the blog contents. This enables Google to give ranking to a particular page/post/URL.
Google crawls blogs on a regular basis and analyzes your content so that they can show up your blog to the perfect audience.
Your article may not show up on Google if you don’t do siteMap. There are other search engines like bing etc. where you need to submit for the sitemap.
Let me show how to submit a sitemap on Google.
This process has two Sections.
- Install Yoast SEO. Once installed, you will see the Yoast on the left side of the Dashboard.
- Click on Yoast SEO and then go to the Features tab.
- Move little down, you will see XML Site Maps with? sign. Click on question mark sign and then click on See the XML Site Map.
- One new Browser will open -> Copy the URL(SiteMAP URL)
- Go to Google search console page and click on start. You will be asked to log in. Just use your Gmail account that you had created to set up a blog.
- Mention your blog name (domain name) and then click on continue.
- You will be asked to verify your ownership.
- Once Verification is done. Again, go to Search Console and click on sitemap and submit your SiteMap URL.
- See youtube videos related to Google search console. There, you will find 100’s of videos on how to set up a Google search console.
There are many sources of earning you can make through your blog.
- Affiliate Income: Once your blog is started gaining visitors, you can start doing affiliate partnerships with many companies that sell online products/services.
- Google Advertisement (Adsense): Google also pays for displaying Google ads. You need to apply for Google AdSense for approval.
Note: Your blog should be ready and must have a good amount of articles with a decent number of daily audiences. Google may refuse the application if your blog doesn’t fit in their criteria. So, do well research before applying.
- Sponsorship: You can also earn from promoting others products/services. The companies may approach you and ask you to display banner ads or recommend them or write an article for their product on your blog. Earning depends upon the number of traffic to your blog. Only promote those products which are helpful for your audience.
- Sell Your Own Service: It’s a good idea to sell your own service to make extra money. You can offer any online or offline service like Digital marketing courses, software, your business products/services.
Life Of A Blogger?
I will explain to you how it’s gonna be like after becoming a successful blogger. Blogging is a kind of journey that you will definitely going to enjoy it especially when you start earning consistently.
Create Content Regularly
This is how my life goes. I keep creating valuable content and share it on the internet.
I spend most of my time learning and sharing things with my audiences. The more updated you are, the more people will attract towards you.
Bloggers do find challenges in making money from a blog in the initial stage of blogging, but as they start growing, they find financial stability in their life. I will explain you blog monetization once you complete the blog setup section.
A successful blogger always has better network/connections. This is because, when you start showing your content on the internet, people will approach you and try to build a good connection with you.
They may invite you to their Facebook groups, YouTube Channel, etc. they may ask you to collaborate so that both can grow and reach each other audience.
This is how a successful blogger builds its network.
Peace Of Mind
You are the boss of your business. No doubt you will have responsibilities, but can be manageable.
There are many bloggers you will find on the internet who visits new places all over the world.
They automate their work and spend the holidays with their families. Blogging can be done from anywhere. You just need to have a computer/laptop and an internet connection.
What If I need A Technical Support?
SiteGround is 24/7 available to help you out in case of any issues you find to run your blog.
Simply log in to your Siteground account and go to the support section and inform them whatever the challenges you are facing.
They are available over the phone or chat – whatever you prefer. The customer service representatives are very supportive, friendly and polite.
How To Increase Traffic For Blog?
To bring traffic to your blog, you need to think what are the platforms that nowadays people are using and spending time.
Traffic Sources are:
- Organic Traffic – You will start Getting traffic organically when your blog starts getting a good ranking on search engines like Google, Bing, etc. You can also run ads to promote your content, but make sure to check the return on investment on ads.
- Social Networking Sites – Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, TikTok Etc. Believe me, these sites has a huge potential to bring traffic to your blog. Just start increasing your followers. Mention a link of your blog or post. These are also the cheapest platforms to run Ads. I would advise you to first build your followers list and start earning money from those sources. Do not invest in ads directly.
- Pinterest: Do not underestimate the power of Pinterest. To get the traffic from Pinterest, you need to create a pin and post it regularly. It’s a platform where you create a long pin in the form of an image and link it with your blog article. Pinterest circulates those pins and brings traffic to your blog. This is my serious recommendation to you.
- Youtube: You can create your own videos related to your blog content and share the link in the video description. People who watch the video may click the link to know more.
- Quora: When you create your blog, start sharing your articles on Quora. Find questions related to your article. As soon as you find the question, Copy the article and paste it on Quora. Mention a link to your site, for example: Write Read More, Click here to read more, etc. and give a hyperlink. Search on Youtube if you want to know about the hyperlink. Never share a link on every article. Out of 10 answers, mention your article link to only 2 of your answers.
- Reddit: You can also take advantage of Reddit. I have seen many people drive traffic to their site through Reddit.
These are the platform is more than enough at an initial stage. Don’t rely only on one traffic source. Have multiple sources of traffic so if one source stop giving you favor, then you have other platforms to take advantage of.
And Yes, when you create your blog and start earning money from it through blog monetization, make sure you run ads on Facebook. If it gives you enough profit after advertisement expense, keep running the ads and invest more money to bring more traffic and income.
By far now, you must have understood what is blogging and how to get started. Once you complete your blog setup process, the next thing you need to do is to publish quality content.
I wish you success in your blogging journey and a better future ahead. If in case, you need any help or stuck somewhere in blogging, you can contact me anytime.
Best of luck for your blogging journey!